WSIU TV 8 | WUSI TV 16 | WSIU 91.9FM | WUSI 90.3FM | WVSI 88.9FM | WSIU HD 91.9FM
WSIU InFocus Video Player
InFocus finds out more about Goddard Chapel in Marion, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places for architectural significance, style, and innovative structural design. Built in 1918 and dedicated on January 1, 1919, the chapel is built in the style of a cathedral of the late 1800s-early 1900s and has been restored with the assistance of the city of Marion and the Williamson County Historical Society. Architect Gale White talks about the architectural elements of the chapel, which seats 200 people and features Bedford stone and art glass windows. The inside walls of the chapel are of pressed brick and the woodwork is of Flemish oak. The paneled ceiling, the pulpit, and leaded art glass windows have an Easter lily motif. Also featured are the Bible presented to the chapel at its dedication and a portrait of former Marion mayor Leroy Goddard, who commissioned the construction of the chapel in 1918 at the urging of the Marion Women's Club.